|THE BAHRAIN CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP|
The National Evangelical Church has its origins in the benevolent work of the Reformed Church in America which began in Bahrain in 1892. Dr. Samuel Zwemer, who was both a Christian minister and medical care giver, was the pioneer. Through his efforts a medical work was begun which would become the American Mission Hospital.
Other Reformed Church mission personnel followed to begin work in education and the marketing of Christian literature. This growing group of Christian workers formed the nucleus of a church which worshiped in both the Arabic language and English.
In the early days the English speaking congregation, composed of not only the missionaries but other Christian expatriates, as well, was small. The missionaries took turns leading the worship which was held originally in the hospital chapel, later in a worship facility built next to the hospital.
After World War II when the marketing of oil proved to be a boon to Bahrain's economy many more Christian expatriates arrived on the island. Many were fluent in English. Others were more comfortable worshiping in their native tongue. The personnel of what was then called "The Arabian Mission" made the decision to broaden the work of the Church by welcoming different language groups into what would become an umbrella organisation called "The National Evangelical Church."